W3Schools is good collection of tutorials on technologies for web development. From very basic introduction to HTML to more advances stuff. The also offer a “Try it Yourself Editor“, which allows you to get into coding directly on their site without the need to use any desktop software (the advantage of web applications).
Find everything on the software wordpress on wordpress.org (not wordpress.net, which offers preinstalled wordpress instances for free and by that creates a kind of blogging social network). Get into Design and develpment with WordPress using their extensive documentation section Codex (form basic introdroduction, themes, plugins to advanced topics). You can find a vast collection of themes and plugins.
Editors for HTML and more:
- TextWrangler (simple text editor with code highlighting / free / Mac OS)
- Taco HTML Edit (simple HTML editor with some useful features / trial/25 $ / Mac OS)
- TextMate (HTML editor with some useful features / trial/45 $ / Mac OS)
- Espresso (user friendly and powerful / trial/79 $ / Mac OS)
- Dreamweaver (more than you need, but not bad / trial / ?$ / Mac OS and Windows)
- Aptana (for professional development, not for beginners / free/open source / all platforms/java)